Corbion introduces Verdad Opti Powder N70, an antimicrobial solution that delivers the functionality and attributes most important to processors of uncured meat products, without the drawbacks of competing solutions.
Some antimicrobials offer effective pathogen control and longer shelf life, but have undesirable consumer labeling.
Some processed meat formulations pose unique challenges in terms of high moisture, low salt levels and higher pH, which makes Listeria monocytogenes control very difficult.
Powdered antimicrobial solutions offer the meat manufacturer convenience, but often have high sodium content.
Improved product yield and texture can often come at the expense of flavor and appearance.
Coupled with Corbion’s Listeria Control Model and Corbion Protection Comparator, the solution can help processors design optimum solutions for each formulation and shelf life needs including:
– Pathogen protection, in particular, superior control of Listeria monocytogenes for long shelf life (90-150 days),
– Inhibition of Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium botulinum in uncured formulations,
– A convenient powdered ingredient format, which makes handling, blending, storage and shipping easier.
The higher concentration offered by a powder also lowers usage levels.
– 35% less sodium compared to competing powdered antimicrobials,
– No impact on product flavor or color,
– An alternative to the high cost of high pressure processing, and
– Clean, simple labeling options such as ‘Cultured Sugar’ and ‘Vinegar’.