Members of the international food standards-setting body, the Codex Alimentarius Commission, will meet at FAO in Rome this week.
They will be making decisions on:
– Guidelines for the control of Salmonella in beef and pork,
– Guidelines on food hygiene to control foodborne parasites,
– Nutrient reference values for nutrition labels on food packages,
– Standards on the safety of food additives, pesticide residues in food, and arsenic levels in rice,
– Revision of Codex’s General Principles of Food Hygiene, and
– Future work by Codex on antimicrobial resistance.
In addition, there will be side-events on whole genome sequencing and food safety and the global burden of foodborne diseases.