McCormick Flavor Forecast 2015 has highlighted eight enticing trends that will shape the future of flavor.
Reflecting the rapidly increasing demand for bolder, more intense flavor experiences, the forecast pinpoints adventurous global tastes on the rise, like Japanese seven Spice (Shichimi Togarashi), as well as an appreciation for the robust flavors developed in slow-simmered dishes from around the world.
The report also showcases new ways to elevate pantry essentials to starring roles, like smoking spices and herbs or pairing sours with coarse salt.
Over the past 15 years, the Flavor Forecast has predicted trends that have changed the way people eat at restaurants and cook in their home kitchens.
The products found on retail shelves today were impacted by trends forecasted in this report.
“Many early trending flavors in past reports have become favorites of today. Take chipotle chile, for instance,” said executive chef Kevan Vetter.
“When we first identified this chile pepper as a flavor to watch in 2003, many people couldn’t pronounce it. Today, it’s a household name. Pumpkin pie spice, sea salt, coconut water and cocktail-inspired flavors have seen similar success, taking over restaurant menus and grocery store shelves. The flavor trends highlighted within our 15th annual Forecast promise to do the same.”
Flavor trends to watch
Identified by a global team of McCormick chefs and flavor experts, these trends offer a taste of 2015 and beyond:
1. Global Blends On the Move – Japanese seven Spice (Shichimi Togarashi) offers a new kind of spicy heat, while Shawarma Spice Blend lends warm, spiced flavor to grilled meats and more.
2. Middle Eastern Mezze – These distinctive dips and spreads, packed with zesty herbs and seasonings, offer an approachable and delicious introduction to a vibrant global cuisine.
3. Sour + Salt – Combining coarse salt with surprising sours like pickled ginger, sour cherry, dried mango and lemon zest results in a lively finishing flavor that lends brightness and texture to dishes.
4. Smoked Spices – Smoking spices and herbs deepens their flavor and aroma, adding richness to meals and drinks.
5. Umami Veggies – For a fresh way to savor the tempting “fifth taste,” look no further than naturally umami-rich veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and nori.
6. Liquid Revolution – Fresh purees and juices blend with bold spices and herbs to intensify sauces, pasta, dressings and more – providing a fun, delicious way to enjoy an extra serving of fruits and veggies.
7. Flavor Worth the Wait – Lift the lid to discover the rich flavors from recipes around the world that meld aromatic spices and comforting ingredients into mouthwatering slow-cooked meals.
8. Cookies Reimagined – Classic spiced cookie flavors take new form in decadent, imaginative desserts that redefine ‘milk and cookies’.